Wednesday 13 April 2011

Punctuation

If you've been keeping up with my blog you'll have noticed by now that my punctuation and grammar are not particularly great!!! Very often my brain thinks ahead so quickly that I don't get down on paper or type quickly enough to keep up!!!

When we're reading stuff the punctuation is very important for our understanding of what we read, and yet we don't really notice it.
Commas cause us to pause momentarily or take a breath so we read the sentence in a kind of rhythm. Full stops indicate a longer pause or maybe the end of what's been written all together. Exclamation marks and question marks add the colour and inflection to what we read, and when we read aloud, it makes for far more entertaining listening.

So why am I wittering on about punctuation? Well a while ago I read somewhere (sorry can't remember the reference!!) about life having punctuation marks. I've been pondering on this one for a while and have come up with some thoughts I'd like to share.

Our lives consist of many questions. Why is there suffering? Why are we disappointed by people? When will I find the right man/woman? Why can't I have children? Should I change jobs?

Our lives are also punctuated by many exclamation marks. Celebrations, births and deaths, world disasters, happy holidays, memorable sporting events!!

Inter weaved in our lives are the full stops and commas. Seasons of doing certain things, certain roles, jobs, voluntary positions. Friends who come and go in our lives.

The book I read about this, talked about God putting the full stops and commas in our lives. I have to admit that in the past I've often been guilty of using my own punctuation, and not listening to what God has been telling me, about maybe ending a friendship or starting a new one. I know now that I want to find the right rhythm to my life, and that means getting the punctuation right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment