Monday 30 May 2011

Facebook

This is a blog entry I've been considering for a long time and think maybe it's time to share it!!

I've recently rejoined 'facebook' after a considerable absence. There were a few reasons for this, the easiest one to share, was that I waste my time on it!! I love looking at other peoples' pictures and knowing how everyone is and what they're up to. It reminds me when birthdays are coming up and I can celebrate with friends enjoying good times, anniversaries, weddings, births etc, as well as knowing when tragedies have happened or people are poorly.

However I found myself becoming more and more isolated because of this....I know that sounds odd but it's true. I would sign in and see everyone else seemingly having good times, or be upset when someone was not well or having a difficult time with life. It was a dreadful distraction and caused me to spend less time with friends and family. I got to a point where I just couldn't cope with how it was making me feel so I deactivated my account.

That was about 6 months ago, maybe more. If you've been following my blog you'll know I've been on a bit of a journey and 'facebook' has been part of that journey. So last week I rejoined the 'facebookers' of this world. Today I've spent some time looking at photos I hadn't had access to for some time, and it took me back to some really happy times. I still have a problem with facebook and how it can manipulate you if you let it, but I know I'm in a better place to deal with those emotions and I know I share my feelings with other good friends too....I'm sure we'll keep one another in check!!

I've decided to use 'facebook' in a particular way, continue to guard my heart and limit my time on it. I look forward to being able to enjoy communication with friends I don't see often or live in other parts of the world but I will also continue to invest in friendships in person, rather than by 'facebook', because for me, nothing beats actually spending quality time with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment