Thursday 17 March 2011

Lent

Lent has always been a special time of year for me. I was brought up in a vibrant Methodist church and as a child I was heavily involved in the Girls Brigade and Sunday School eventually becoming a teacher!! We always prepared for Easter during the Sundays before focussing on what God had done for us in sending His only Son and how obedient Jesus was in following His Fathers plan by becoming the ultimate sacrifice.



I've usually tried to give something up for Lent as I know many people do. For me savoury has always rocked my boat rather than sweet stuff so it would usually be crisps I denied myself. This year I found myself questioning why we do this, and came to the conclusion that it's generally a habit not a spiritual act. As I walked round the supermarket and saw the pancake mixes and golden syrup all laid out in preparation for pancake day, and the shelves filling up with Easter eggs, it got me wondering whether the supermarkets celebrate this season more than the church these days?!!



I wanted Lent and this season of preparation for Easter to be different for me this time so this year I've given up alcohol!!!



Now those who know me well, will immediately recognise the sacrifice I am making here!! I like a beer or two, especially while watching a game of football.



It was a last minute decision I made on shrove Tuesday but one I feel God prompted me to do. I was drinking too much and it had become a bad habit, a way of relaxing. Not that I got drunk every night but I was becoming more and more reliant on it as a way of unwinding. Yes it's a sacrifice but it's nothing compared to what Jesus did for me and you.



Why not join me in preparing for Easter differently this year. A good friend of mine also sent me a link to 40 acts of stewardship http://www.40acts.org.uk/ which is a positive way of approaching Easter without giving up anything but looking to doing good stuff instead.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Sandra, I think this is a fantastic decision!
    I used to drink too much - not every day but I'd definitely have too many once I did drink. I tried packing it in altogether a number of times but alcohol was such a part of my culture I found it too difficult to resist. Then one day I knelt down and asked God to just remove it from my life. And He did, just like that! That was six years ago!
    I wish you well with your Lent sacrifice! Am at Alans house at the moment. They are on the wine and I've just opened a family size bar of chocolate (the downside)!
    Jesus is my constant source of strength and I can't wait to see what He has in store for me next!
    God bless and love to all
    cazzah xxx

    ReplyDelete