Friday 25 March 2011

My Passions:Football as a spectator

Being born in Manchester I was surrounded by football, which probably explains my passion for the sport as a whole. I would probably have been a Manchester United fan if my Dad had still been alive, however that was not to be. My older brother Peter took me to my very first football match at the tender age of 10 after which I was smitten. He used to go and see Manchester City with a friend of his so I became a Man City fan through and through.

For those of you who are already bored because I'm banging on about sport again I'll lighten your reading with a little humour.

As in most towns there has always been considerable rivalry between the two Manchester teams. I'm reluctant to say hatred although many fans might disagree with me!
Man City play in blue and white and Man United play in red and white. I was such a staunch City fan that when I was younger I hated the colour red so much that I wouldn't even touch the red Penguin biscuits!!! I have got better in later life although I still refuse to buy a red car!!!!

So my spectating days were launched when football was all about passion, about local lads doing good and about having home grown British players to look up to and admire. I can remember running out into the park wearing my newly purchased Man City kit (even down to the shorts and socks!!) and pretending to be the wonderful Francis Lee or Colin Bell. Real heroes.

Being a City fan has been very much like riding a rollercoaster. (I hate rollercoasters!!!).
We've been relegated, promoted, relegated again, and again, and still we bounce back. We've had heady days of success in Europe and very lean years of dismal despair when we've only managed one point in the league by Christmas!!

However I continue to support my team (mainly from the sofa) but definitely with passion.
I've relived great games in recent years the 4-3 win over Tottenham in the Carling Cup in 2008 tops the lot I think. We were 3-0 down at half time and then had Barton sent off. So 10 men and a mountain to climb....oh but what a come back and what a game.


Unfortunately though I have to say, I am a little ashamed at the way in which my beloved club have gone down the route of so many other teams and bought their way to the top...or nearly the top. I fear it is a sign of the times and the modern game. I hate to say it but I think we are at the point of no return, with all seater stadiums, extortionate ticket prices, enormous transfer fees and not to mention immoral wages being payed to players. I believe we will never have a great National side until we get the balance of foreign and home grown players right. Yes they bring flare and style but where is the true passion, grit and hard work we used to have?

Rant over.....Wayne has always said I would watch 2nd Cippenham Scouts play football and he's probably right. It's in my blood and I love the game and it's part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment