Thursday 31 March 2011

Motherhood


Most of us will have some experience of Motherhood, whether it's as being a child or being a mother. I understand some of those experiences may be painful and maybe you aren't a mum and want to be one, or you've lost your mum and miss her dreadfully, or maybe your experience of your mum wasn't a great one, or you are a mum and you're struggling to cope as a parent. As Mother's Day approaches I urge you to look beyond your difficulties and look to the positive influences either you have on your life or that you impart on others.


I've been very blessed in my life to have had not only a great Mum and be a mum myself, but also to know and have the support and love of some great motherly figures in my life. I've also known and loved many of my friends children as well as my nieces and nephew.


I can remember my mum coming home from a parents evening (I think it was my brothers' not mine?!) and retelling one of the teacher's comments to her. She had attended the evening with my Auntie, this was normal as Auntie was always there to support mum on such occasions whenever she could. The teacher had greeted them by saying, 'Ah Twin Mums' !!!


This may have been a little out of order but the reality was that Auntie was always there for us. No she wasn't mum, but she was and still is a huge part of our lives. Although she never married or had her own children she has had a huge influence on many of her friends children (many of whom still send her Christmas cards and presents) as well as in recent years influencing and being part of the lives of my friends children. In Bracknell, she is now dubbed 'a legend', and we all love her to bits.


As I mentioned in a previous blog I also had two lovely godmothers who were a huge part of my life when I was growing up too, as well as all the teachers and mums friends at church who imparted advice and wisdom on me. Most of all though I remember the love and support I felt and still feel when I remember those times.


Now I have many friends who have very positive influences on my life and offer advice and support about parenting and being a wife, as well as making lifestyle decisions. I also know that Gemma would not be the lovely girl she is if it wasn't for those same lovely women, supporting her, loving her, encouraging her and guiding her.


So as Mother's day approaches think about who you have in your life who helps, supports and loves you. And think about who you influence and can help, guide and encourage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment