Thursday 23 June 2011

Travelling Light


Well I've finished the Max Lucado book (yes I'll return it to you soon Janine....thank you) and I just wanted to share this small section which sums up the whole book nicely. However I would urge each one of you to read the whole thing if you're feeling in need of rest, if you're bogged down with life whether that's being too busy or not busy enough, or whether you just want to look at the 23rd Psalm in a new light:

"Let's get rid of the bags! Once and for all, let's give our luggage to him. Let's take him at his word! "Come to me all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" Matthew 11:28.

Rest from the burden of a small god. Why? Because I have found the Lord.
Rest from doing things my way. Why? Because the Lord is my Shepherd.
Rest from endless wants. Why? Because I shall not want.
Rest from weariness. Why? Because he makes me lie down.
Rest from worry. Why? Because he leads me.
Rest from hopelessness. Why? Because he restores my soul.
Rest from guilt. Why? Because he leads me in the paths of righteousness.
Rest from arrogance. Why? Because of his name's sake.
Rest from the valley of death. Why? Because he walks me through it.
Rest from the shadow of grief. Why? Because he guides me.
Rest from fear. Why? Because his presence comforts me.
Rest from loneliness. Why? Because he is with me.
Rest from shame. Why? Because he has prepared a place for me in the presence of my enemies.
Rest from my disappointments. Why? Because he anoints me.
Rest from my envy. Why? Because my cup overflows.
Rest from doubt. Why? Because he follows me.
Rest from homesickness. Why? Because I will dwell in the house of my Lord forever.

And tomorrow, when out of  habit you pick your luggage back up, set it down again and again until that sweet day when you find you aren't picking it back up."

No comments:

Post a Comment